Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An Abundance of UFOs

Like you, I have UFOs.  (that's unfinished objects - this is not a sci-fi post, though the UFOs do seem to propagate in a mysterious way).  It's OK, really, and nothing to be embarrassed about.  It is, in fact, the sign of a healthy, questing brain combining with rampant creativity.  And that's a good thing!

That said, there comes a time when it may actually be too much of a good thing.  

Last year, I set myself a goal of finishing one UFO before I started anything new.  This wouldn't reduce my UFO load, but it would stop its growth.  It didn't work.  Oh, I did finish a few things, which was good, but I started, well, more than a few.

In fact, when I started this post, I went back to a list  lists I made last year to document the extent of my problem, 
and I thought, no, it's too much, let me summarize.  So while doing my morning walk, I thought through what that summarizing blog post would look like and I thought, no, it's still too much.  

Let's just say that the long list includes many projects of knitting, multi-shaft weaving, rigid heddle weaving, quilting - piecing and applique, free-motion quilting, sewing, and spinning in the following categories:

UFOs - (unfinished objects) - projects that have not been touched for 6 months to 6 years
WIPs - (works in progress) - projects that have seen some action in the last 6 months
NWs - (new works - sometimes optimistically referred to as NewFOs) - projects for which I have most of the yarn/fabric/fiber, the instructions/design/pattern, and the enthusiasm to start now, right now.
ITBs (in the brain/in the book) - projects that I have been thinking about, designing in my head or in my design book, and want to start, though I don't have a finished plan or all the supplies needed.
Classes signed up for already (including Craftsy) - and classes, as you know, always create more UFOs/WIPs/ITBs/Stash!
SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy) - fiber, fabric, yarn - and it's all beautiful and high quality and needs my attention.

On my sidebar, you will find buttons with links to several blogs that are hosting UFO finishing challenges this year.  I like a good challenge, so will participate in these to the best of my ability, and hopefully, will finish some of the really great projects I've started!

You may note that I also posted one that challenges you to start at least one new project each month without having to finish any first.  There's nothing wrong with that (waves hand in a Jedi manner, "these are not the contradictions you seek") and will hopefully free my mind to not feel too locked in to old projects.

That said, I also posted the "blogging without obligation" button.  To me, this means that if life gets in the way/I'd rather create than blog about creating/blogging starts to feel like a chore, then there may be a blogless gap, for which I will not apologize.  I'd rather wait and give you a post when I'm excited about something and have some useful info to share!

So here are my year of the finished project goals for this month:
1.  UFO - The 7 yard color gamp warp on my new Baby Wolf that has languished since I warped the loom and wove off the first of 8 towels back in June.
*Needs 7 towels woven, each with a different tie-up or color sequence in the weft.


2.  WIP - The FMQ December Bonus challenge from Teri Lucas - have already printed off the Kaleidoscope pattern (paper copy on right) onto the Inkjet printable fabric (fabric copy on left).
*Needs to be layered into a quilt sandwich and free motion quilted!


3.  WIP - Dress for 2 year old granddaughter - dress is actually finished, as per the published pattern.
*Needs to be revised and have a tie or button and loop put on at the back of neck - she's a wee little thing, but she has a big active brain and needs a neckline that is small enough for her little shoulders, but big enough for her head to go through comfortably.

4.  WIP - Pinwheel Scarf on Rigid Heddle loom - abandoned in November, though weaving is finished (this is an older photo).
*Needs to be hemstitched, taken off the loom, and fringe twisted.

5.  NW - fingerless mitts for an American Girls doll, to match the fingerless mitts I made for my 11 year old granddaughter (the owner of the doll).
(sorry, no photo - forget to take one when I gave the mitts to her!)
*Needs me to find the right little beads, estimate a stitch count, cast on, and knit (that seems like a lot, but they're going to be really small).

That's enough for now.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard - good to have you! I, too, am blogging without obligation. A couple of years ago, when it became a chore, I almost gave up on the whole idea but now I blog for me, when I want to, and it remains a non-chore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have your work cut out this year! Have fun with it, no stress. I love the pinwheel scarf, pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete